Obama says hey Rahm
President elect Barack Obama has a selected his chief of staff and his name is Rahm. Though the name has nothing to do with the Hindu mythological figure of Ram, Indian Americans who are loyal Obama supporters are sure to be happy with the name that sounds so like the Hindu God.
Representative Rahm Emanuel is a former Clinton Administration official and a fellow member of Congress from Illinois and the President elect says that he selected Rahm for the crucial job because he has "deep insights into the challenging economic issues that will be front and center for our administration."
He informed Mr. Obama of his decision on Thursday morning, saying he would step down as the fourth-ranking Democrat in the House of Representatives to help guide the Obama Administration.
Accepting the offer that Obama made, Emanuel said: "Now is a time for unity, and I will do everything in my power to help you stitch together the frayed fabric of our politics, and help summon Americans of both parties to unite in common purpose."
In a statement, he added: "Like the record amount of voters who cast their ballot over the last month, I want to do everything I can to help deliver the change America needs. We have work to do, and Tuesday Americans sent Washington a clear message get the job done."
Rahm is also called Rahmbo here in Washington due to his tough no nonsense approach to getting work done in a difficult town. He is a veteran of the Clinton Administration leading many to wonder whether there will be more appointments that Obama will make from that team.
Obama also named John Podesta, former Clinton White House chief of staff to lead his transition team. Both Rahm Emanuel and John Podesta are not representatives of the new brand of politics that Obama has promised the people.
Mr. Obama himself remained largely out of public view on Thursday. He went for a morning workout about 9:30 a.m., returning to his home about 90 minutes later. In the afternoon, he received his first intelligence briefing as the president-elect. He will speak to the media on Friday morning but it is unlikely that he will announce the names of the transition team.
- Don't let down the people of Jammu and Kashmir
- Our multicultural identity
- Learn from Kejriwal, Mr Gandhi
- Pakistan's ban-ter with snakes in the backyard
- Nice guys may not finish last
- A safe seat for Mr Gandhi
- Live by Twitter, don't die by it
- Patriotism is for everybody
- 15th NAM Summit begins in Sharm-al-Sheikh
- Indian Americans not buying Basmati rice
- Gilani regurgates Kashmir, spoils chances of a rapprochement
- Send Pasha, we will put hom on best suite in the Taj hotel, Mumbai
- Longest ever honeymoon for PM
- PM lays wreath at unknown soldier tomb
- Thorium Reactors Integral To Indian Energy Independence
- Its all about energy
- Manmohan Singh reminds the world not to forget Africa in the race for development
- Pak FS Basheer says composite dialogue provides an ideal format for talks with India
- Without customary bad boys of NAM, summit lacks excitement
- PM arrives in Egypt for XVth NAM Summit
- US thanks India for extending hospitality to Dalai Lama
- India-Pak FS meet again ahead of Manmohan-Gilani pow wow
- Queen wears her wedding Tiara for banquet
- No Drama Obama and MMS style similar